The Nepali Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) recorded 1,051 dengue fever cases on Monday, bringing the country total to 25,543 year to date.
Bagmati province, the home of Kathmandu, accounted for nearly 78 percent of the cases (19,910).
Thirty-two dengue related fatalities have been reported.
Dengue is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. There are four closely related but antigenically different serotypes of the virus that can cause dengue (DEN1, DEN 2, DEN 3, DEN 4).
Dengue Fever (DF) – marked by an onset of sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and pain in muscles and joints. Some may also have a rash and varying degree of bleeding from various parts of the body (including nose, mouth and gums or skin bruising).Dengue has a wide spectrum of infection outcome (asymptomatic to symptomatic). Symptomatic illness can vary from dengue fever (DF) to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).
Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) – is a more severe form, seen only in a small proportion of those infected. DHF is a stereotypic illness characterized by 3 phases; febrile phase with high continuous fever usually lasting for less than 7 days; critical phase (plasma leaking) lasting 1-2 days usually apparent when fever comes down, leading to shock if not detected and treated early; convalescence phase lasting 2-5 days with improvement of appetite, bradycardia (slow heart rate), convalescent rash (white patches in red background), often accompanied by generalized itching (more intense in palms and soles), and diuresis (increase urine output).
Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) — Shock syndrome is a dangerous complication of dengue infection and is associated with high mortality. Severe dengue occurs as a result of secondary infection with a different virus serotype. Increased vascular permeability, together with myocardial dysfunction and dehydration, contribute to the development of shock, with resultant multiorgan failure.
- Florida locally acquired dengue fever count now 19, Testing reveals DENV-3 strain
- California: St. Louis Encephalitis case/death reported in Fresno County
- Uganda: Ebola cases reported outside Mubende
- Peru: Dengue cases nearly double 2021 numbers
- Mauritania Rift Valley fever update: 14 human cases, 9 deaths
- DC Cobbs’ Link in Outbreak of Gastrointestinal Illness
- Uganda Ebola update: 4 new confirmed cases reported
- Costa Rica: North Zone reports 300-plus malaria cases, PAHO provides microbiologist