By NewsDesk  @bactiman63

The New Zealand Food Safety is warning consumers to thoroughly cook mussels before eating following 2 people reportedly becoming sick from Vibrio parahaemolyticus in the Nelson-Tasman region.

Image/mp1746 via pixabay

Paul Dansted, director of food regulation at New Zealand Food Safety said, “Vibrio parahaemolyticus is bacteria in mussels that may cause food poisoning if they’re undercooked or eaten raw. People with low immunity, pregnant, or elderly should avoid eating raw or undercooked shellfish as the illness can be more severe.

“While the cause has not been established both people who became ill have reported eating mussels and as a precaution we are reminding consumers to cook mussels thoroughly before consumption.”

Vibrio parahaemolyticus symptoms may include: watery or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, fever, and/or headache.