Peru health officials report 146,586 dengue cases through June 10 this year, a 241 percent increase compared to the same period in 2022 (42,959). This is the worst dengue outbreak the country has ever experienced.
It’s so bad that Minister of Health of Peru , Rosa Gutiérrez Palomino, resigned from her position as questions rose about how she handled the outbreak, Dr. Gutiérrez was just recently sworn in as health minister last December.
Since the beginning of the year, Peru has reported 246 dengue fatalities (187 confirmed and 59 under investigation), significantly higher than the 60 reported last year at this time.
- Panama hantavirus: 11 cases reported in Los Santos in 2023 to date
- Malaria in Florida: 2nd local transmission case reported in Sarasota County
- Thailand reports 282% increase in chikungunya in 2023 to date
- Bangladesh dengue cases top 5,000 for 2023
- Iowa reports 1st human West Nile virus case of 2023
- Philippines: Iloilo reports 14 Japanese encephalitis cases, 4 deaths in first 5 months of 2023
- Japan: Woman contracts Anisakis parasites from sushi in Hitachinaka
- Breaking Down the Bulge: Get in the Know for Hernia Awareness Month
- Dengue fever cases rise to 4,869 in Laos