By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Philippines Department of Health (DOH) reported an additional 97 Delta (B.1.617.2) variant cases today, bringing the total Delta variant cases to 216.
Of the 97 new cases of the Delta variant, 88 were local cases, six were Returning Overseas Filipinos (ROF), and three are being verified if they are local or ROF cases. Of the six ROFs, two were from seafarers of MT Clyde and Barge Claudia, currently anchored off in Albay, and four were from crew members of MV Vega that arrived from Indonesia.
Ninety-four cases have recovered and three were fatalities. The DOH is coordinating with the respective local government units to determine other information, such as exposure and vaccination status.
Concerning the other variants, 83 Alpha (B.1.1.7) variant cases, 127 Beta (B.1.351) variant cases, and 22 P.3 variant cases were also reported today.
The DOH recorded 7,186 new COVID-19 infections and 72 deaths in its latest case bulletin, the highest number of new cases in a single day since June 13, when there were 7,302 new cases.
The new cases brought the total number of infections in the country to 1,562,420, including 27,318 deaths.
The Philippine Inquirer reports the OCTA Research Group has advised the government to impose a two-week lockdown to help curb the spread of the more transmissible Delta variant of COVID-19 and avert the situation of the health system becoming overwhelmed anew.
The group notes that new infections in Metro Manila could reach as high as 13,000 a day by the end of August if the government will not impose a “hard lockdown” as soon as possible.
- Monkeypox in Dallas: WHO details
- Two yellow fever cases confirmed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Metro Manila COVID-19 at ‘moderate risk’, 24% of Delta variant cases unvaccinated
- Chile: Possible Q fever case investigated in Los Lagos
- Bangladesh reports surge of dengue fever in July, Most in Dhaka
- Chagas disease treatment: Cal State Fullerton researchers discover sensing mechanisms
- CDC updates COVID-19 mask guidance, AMA statement of support
- Flu vaccines: 60 million doses being shipped, according to Seqirus
- Plague vaccine: University of Oxford launches Phase 1 trial
- RSV outbreak in New Zealand