The Philippines Department of Health (DOH) reported an additional 9,000 dengue fever cases in the past two weeks, now reporting 73,909 total dengue cases since the beginning of the year.
“This is cumulatively 96 percent higher compared to the reported cases during the same period last year, which is around 37,000 cases,” DOH spokesperson Undersecretary Beverly Ho said in a press briefing.
299 dengue related fatalities have been reported so far in 2022.
The regions recording the most cases include National Capital Region, Central Luzon, and Central Visayas.
Dengue is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. There are four closely related but antigenically different serotypes of the virus that can cause dengue (DEN1, DEN 2, DEN 3, DEN 4).
Dengue Fever (DF) – marked by an onset of sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and pain in muscles and joints. Some may also have a rash and varying degree of bleeding from various parts of the body (including nose, mouth and gums or skin bruising).Dengue has a wide spectrum of infection outcome (asymptomatic to symptomatic). Symptomatic illness can vary from dengue fever (DF) to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).
Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) – is a more severe form, seen only in a small proportion of those infected. DHF is a stereotypic illness characterized by 3 phases; febrile phase with high continuous fever usually lasting for less than 7 days; critical phase (plasma leaking) lasting 1-2 days usually apparent when fever comes down, leading to shock if not detected and treated early; convalescence phase lasting 2-5 days with improvement of appetite, bradycardia (slow heart rate), convalescent rash (white patches in red background), often accompanied by generalized itching (more intense in palms and soles), and diuresis (increase urine output).
Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) — Shock syndrome is a dangerous complication of dengue infection and is associated with high mortality. Severe dengue occurs as a result of secondary infection with a different virus serotype. Increased vascular permeability, together with myocardial dysfunction and dehydration, contribute to the development of shock, with resultant multiorgan failure.
- Burkholderia pseudomallei, the agent of melioidosis, identified in environmental samples in Mississippi
- Ghana Marburg Virus Disease outbreak rises to 4 cases
- France monkeypox tally eclipses 1800 cases
- Ho Chi Minh City reports 294% increase in dengue fever cases in 2022
- Acute hepatitis cases of unknown origin in children linked to adeno-associated virus 2: Studies
- Brazil: Monkeypox situation ‘is very worrying’
- Colorado confirms first anthrax cases in cattle since 2012
- Alabama: 4 vibriosis cases reported in Mobile County year to date
- Ukraine: 3,533 rotavirus cases reported in first six months of 2022