The Afghanistan Health Ministry reports another wild poliovirus case in Nangarhar province. The patient is a 30-month-old male child from the Nazyan district.
According to a local media report, the province is facing a high risk of poliovirus due to the lap also reporting some WPV1-positive environmental samples from the east region, particularly Nangarhar province.
The Nazyan District location where the polio case was reported has low sanitation and personal hygiene standards. In areas with poor sanitation, the poliovirus can persist for longer and readily infect children playing there.
Acting minister of public health, Qalander Ibaad, called on the polio vaccine workers to intensify vaccination efforts.
Afghanistan reported 56 wild poliovirus cases in 2020, four in 2021 and two last year.
- Brazil: Resurgence of dengue serotype 3 raises alarm of risk of new epidemic
- Brazil: No human cases of avian influenza, Four suspected cases still under analysis
- Argentina to donate 200K rotavirus vaccines to Bolivia
- Puerto Rico reports more than 300 total dengue cases year to date
- Peru issues epidemiological alert for dengue epidemic in the country
- Australia: 14 Murray Valley encephalitis cases reported in 2023 to date
- Malaysia: 9th human rabies death reported in Sarawak
- Tunisia: Brucellosis in Téboursouk, Béja Governorate