By NewsDesk @bactiman63
Afghanistan reported two additional wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases in Hilmand province, bringing the total to 56 in 2020 to date.
The number of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV) across countries in Africa and Asia and the Middle East rose by some 69 cases last week.
This includes 24 cVDPV2 cases in Afghanistan, 21 cVDPV2 cases in Pakistan, four cVDPV2 cases in Burkina Faso, 16 cVDPV2 cases in Côte d’Ivoire, two cVDPV2 cases in Niger, seven cVDPV2 cases in South Sudan, two cVDPV2 cases in Sudan, one cVDPV2 case in Somalia and two cVDPV1 cases in Yemen.
Vaccination drives are occurring in a number of these areas. Pakistan on Monday launched a vaccination drive against polio to cover the immunity gap caused by COVID-19 pandemic related disruptions to the program aimed at eradicating the disease.
The five-day immunization drive, the third such national campaign so far in 2020, will see over 39 million children under the age of five vaccinated.
In Afghanistan, the ministry of public health launched the vaccination for more than 9.9 million children across the country.
Finally in Yemen, 5.5 million children under five is the goal to be vaccinated next week.
- World malaria report: Africa still accounts for bulk of cases and deaths
- Bangladesh dengue cases top 1,000, Down dramatically from 2019
- COVID-19 vaccines: Moderna to file for FDA EUA
- Lyme disease guidelines released: Prevention, diagnosis, and treatment
- Bolivia reports 3rd measles case of 2020
- SARS-CoV-2 mutations do not appear to increase transmissibility
- China reports H5N8 avian influenza in swans in Shanxi province
- Africa: Chad measles vaccination campaign postponed, Polio cVDPV2 vaccination campaign resumes