The March 11–March 23, 2023 voyage of Royal Caribbean International’s Enchantment of the Seas is the seventh and latest cruise ship outbreak the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is investigating.
On this latest outbreak, 97 passengers and crew were struck with symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea. The causative etiology of the outbreak is unknown.
Prior to this outbreak, CDC-VSP had/or is investigating gastrointestinal outbreaks on Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Equinox and Celebrity Constellation, Royal Caribbean International’s Jewel of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas, Princess Cruises’ Ruby Princess and P&O Cruises’ Arcadia.
Only the Arcadia outbreak had a etiology identified to date–norovirus.
Norovirus is a very contagious virus. You can get norovirus from an infected person, from contaminated food or water, or by touching contaminated surfaces. The virus causes your stomach or intestines or both to get inflamed (acute gastroenteritis). This leads you to have stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea and to throw up.
- Africa CDC ‘remains committed to support Tanzania and her neighbors to arrest this outbreak as soon as possible’
- Paraguay: A high incidence of meningoencephalitis possibly associated to chikungunya reported
- H1N1 cluster reported at Ho Chi Minh City school
- Vietnam: Dengue fever cases nationwide increased 2.3 times over the same period in 2022
- Scotland: Gonorrhea cases almost 50% higher than the number recorded in 2019
- Paraguay: Chikungunya continues to expand in the interior of the country
- Ecuador reports leptospirosis in Guayas province
- South Australia reports 1st measles case since 2019
- Hong Kong reports 4th melioidosis case of 2023
3 thoughts on “Royal Caribbean International’s Enchantment of the Seas the latest cruise ship outbreak in 2023”
Is there going to be cancellation on some of these cruises like Jewel of the sea because I’m booked for there and I truly don’t want to get sick but I hope to get notified if there’s any cancellatiocanotithere’s any changes with it for the 24th of April
Just came back from that ship. They did a hell of a job cleaning that ship so I don’t want to hear any blaming of sanitation problems on Royal so knock it off on the blaming of conditions
Yeah, I am one of the 97 cruisers who got norovirus. It would have been nice if RC had informed passengers prior to boarding that the previous Enchantment sailing had some cases of norovirus. I would have been better prepared with pepto, antidiarrhea meds, and pads. And more underwear.