By NewsDesk @bactiman63
In a follow-up on the measles outbreak in South Africa, the National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD) reports From 01 September to 30 November 2022, 99 laboratory-confirmed measles cases were reported in Limpopo and Mpumalanga provinces. Laboratory-confirmed measles cases in Limpopo province increased to 77 and 22 in Mpumalanga province.
The most affected districts in Limpopo province are Greater Sekhukhune district, Mopani district, and Waterberg district. In the Mpumalanga province, increased Laboratory-confirmed measles cases were reported in the Elukwatini area in the Gert Sibande district.
The ages of measles cases in the Limpopo province ranged from 3 months to 42 years, while in the Ehlanzeni district in Mpumalanga province, measles cases ranged from 4 months to 13 years. The most affected age group is the school-going children, 5-9 years age group (n=37, 37%) in Mpumalanga province and 1-4 years old (n=29; 29%) in Limpopo. Three laboratory-confirmed measles cases were hospitalized and no measles deaths have been reported in Limpopo province and Mpumalanga province.
In Limpopo province, 53 laboratory-confirmed measles cases had unknown vaccination histories, 12 did not receive any measles vaccine doses, 10 were fully immunised with two doses, and 2 were partially immunised with one dose. In Mpumalanga province, in 13 laboratory-confirmed measles cases vaccination histories were unknown, 6 did not receive any measles vaccine dose, and 3 were fully immunised. Overall, 18 laboratory-confirmed measles cases of the 33 cases (55%) with known vaccination histories did not receive a single dose of the measles vaccine making them susceptible to measles virus infection. Information on why the children are not vaccinated with the measles vaccine needs to be collected to improve the vaccination programme in both affected provinces.
- Panama reports 47 hantavirus cases through mid-November
- Virginia reports 1st monkeypox death
- South Carolina: Calf tests positive for rabies; People and livestock exposed
- Parasitic diseases, Opisthorchiasis and Diphyllobothriasis, reported in Bashkiria
- Russia reports 59 Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever cases so far in 2022
- São Paulo: Campinas registers an increase in dengue cases in recent weeks
- Hanoi: Number of dengue cases still increasing
- Rio de Janeiro reports 300% increase in dengue in 1st 10 months of 2022
- Vietnam dengue total tops 325,000 in 2022
- Buruli ulcer increases in 2022: Victoria Health issues advisory