By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Spanish Agency for Food Safety and Nutrition (AESAN) reported last week (computer translated) that the parasitic nematode (worm), anisakis has been reported in a batch of Boquerones en Vinagre made by Pescados Medina.
According to officials, three infections have been documented, all mild cases of food poisoning.
The product involved is in 250-gram plastic containers with lot code 270420 and the date July 27, 2020. Authorities recommended that people who have the implicated product at home refrain from consuming it and return it to the place of purchase.
Anisakis is a marine roundworm that can be found in over 200 species of fish, eel and octopus. When you eat raw seafood contaminated with this roundworm, you are ingesting live larval forms of the parasite.
From as soon as 1 hour to 2 weeks after eating the sushi, the symptoms may begin. The worms typically attached themselves to the stomach where vomiting and abdominal pain will ensue. More severe symptoms may be abdominal pains resembling appendicitis and rarely bowel obstructions.
- Diphyllobothrium: The largest known tapeworms that can infect people
- Parasites 101: Swimmer’s itch
- Parasites 101: Cyclospora
- Coyote tapeworm in Alberta: 5th human case reported
- Parasites 101: Ascaris lumbricoides
- Raccoon roundworm: The rare and potentially lethal zoonosis
- Chinese man’s body peppered with parasites, is it Diphyllobothriasis?
- Strongyloides stercoralis-latent TB co-infection more susceptible to active TB: Study
- Taiwan: 8-ft tapeworm removed from young girl
- Parasites: 6-ft pork tapeworm removed through man’s mouth
- Spirometra tapeworm found in UK man’s head after 4 years