By NewsDesk @bactiman63
One additional circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus-2 (cVDPV2) case was reported in the Red Sea province, Sudan, bringing the total cases reported in to 23 since the first cases were reported in early August.
The initial viruses were linked to the ongoing outbreak in Chad followed by local transmission, according to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative.
Close to 10 million doses of polio vaccine arrived Thursday in Khartoum, which will be used during the National Polio Campaign planned for October to immunize 8.6 million of the country’s children under the age of five.
“We must protect children from the threat of polio, and the best way to do that is to increase the polio vaccination coverage and urge parents and communities to bring their children for vaccination to save them from the crippling disease”, said UNICEF Representative, Abdullah Fadil. “A little effort now can give children the best health care service that they need in their first years of life,” he remarked.
“Vaccinating every child is the only way to stop this outbreak spreading further,” said Dr Ni’ma Saeed Abid, WHO Representative. “The pandemic has led to lower rates of routine immunization, placing children at even greater risk. We are committed to working with parents and caregivers to deliver vaccines, and urgently raise immunity levels.”
“This is a multi-country outbreak has been active in 4 out of 7 neighboring countries with Sudan. In addition to in-country efforts we started coordination with outbreak countries bordering Sudan to have holistic and comprehensive response,” said Dr.Ni’ma.
- Dengue in the Americas: 20 countries reporting higher-than-usual numbers prompting CDC travel notice
- Saint Lucia dengue fever update: Cases eclipse 500 to date
- Salmonella outbreak affects 32 in 17 states, Linked to pet hedgehogs
- Pork tapeworm: 1st locally acquired neurocysticercosis case reported in Melbourne, Australia
- Flavivirus vaccines: Researchers one step closer to development
- Watermelon chunks recalled due to Listeria risk, Distributed to Walmart and RaceTrac in 5 states
- Costa Rica COVID-19 update, Agreement for vaccine supplies
- China: H9N2 avian influenza case reported in Guangdong province