By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Uganda Ministry of Health reported Sunday that the country registered the highest number COVID-19 cases at 318 in a single day.
The breakdown of the cases is as follows:
• Amuru Prisons: 154 (153 inmates, 1 prison staff)
• Contacts and Alerts (136) : Kampala -65, Kiryandongo-14, Gulu-9, Mbarara-9, Kitgum-8, Arua-8, Wakiso-7, Mbale-4, Buikwe-4, Masaka-2, Bugiri-1, Jinja-1, Luweero-1 Manafwa 1, Masindi 1, Mityana 1
• Health workers (20): Kitgum 9, Kampala 6, Arua 2, Adjumani 1, Kiryandongo 1, Luweero 1
• Truck drivers (8): Malaba 3, Busia 2, Mpondwe 1, Oraba 1, Madi Opei 1
In addition, one COVID-19 death, a 49 year old male from Mbale District was reported, bringing the total cumulative COVID-19 deaths to 20.
The cumulative number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Uganda is 2,166.
Currently, Kampala Metropolitan Area has the highest numbers of community transmission. A cumulative total of 540 COVID-19 cases have been reported in Kampala since the 23rd March. Of these, 342 cases were registered within the last week, from 15th August to 21st August 2020 including 5 COVID-19 deaths.
Yellow fever vaccinations in West Nile
A yellow fever vaccination campaign was launched in the West Nile Region, which is intended to target 1.6 million people aged 9 months to 60 years in six districts following an outbreak in Buliisa and five high risk districts in West Nile, which claimed four lives.
The Uganda Radio Network is reporting three human deaths due to suspected anthrax.
Dr. Henry Mugaya, the Rubirizi District Veterinary Officer, said although they are yet to confirm the disease in humans, it has claimed over 30 goats and 15 sheep since they often graze with buffaloes, hippos and water bucks in Queen Elizabeth National Park.
- Ukraine: 3 meningococcal infections reported in Transcarpathia, ‘The problem with the availability of vaccines in our region is more acute than ever’
- New Zealand COVID-19 update, Auckland will stay at Alert Level 3 through Sunday
- Philippines report an additional 1000 COVID-19 cases from Manila area
- COVID-19: FDA issues EUA for convalescent plasma as potential treatment
- Nigeria: Lassa fever cases drop significantly in recent months
- California reports increase in Candida auris cases, Health advisory issued
- Sweden reports increase in campylobacter infections this month