By NewsDesk  @infectiousdiseasenews

Ukraine health officials reported this week a fatal case of botulism in Chernihiv region. The patient was a 74-year-old man who fell ill after eating home-made blood sausage, which was stored for about two months in the refrigerator.

The victim sought medical help the day after consuming the suspicious product. He was hospitalized in the infectious department of the district hospital. However, a week later the patient left the hospital without permission. Four days later, the man was hospitalized in the regional hospital, where he died two days later.

Since the beginning of the year, as of July 20, 2021, 10 cases of botulism have been registered in Chernihiv region, three of which have been fatal.

In just 5 months of 2021, 43 cases of botulism were registered in Ukraine, including one child. Six people died.

The probable foods that led to the disease were dried and salted freshwater and sea fish (40%), meat, fish, vegetables, canned mushrooms and other meat products.