Currently, the country is facing two outbreaks of measles: in Amazonas there are 1,776 cases and 7,801 in research, and in Roraima, with 330 cases of the disease recorded, of which 93 are still under investigation.
The outbreaks are related to importation, as the genotype of the virus (D8) that is circulating in the country is the same that circulates in Venezuela, a country that has been facing an outbreak of the disease since 2017.
To date, 12 measles deaths have been confirmed in Brazil, with four deaths in the state of Roraima (3 in foreigners and 1 in Brazilian), 6 deaths in the state of Amazonas (all Brazilians, three in the municipality of Manaus, two in Brazil). municipality of Autazes and one in the municipality of Manacapuru) and two in Pará (Venezuelan indigenous).
The Ministry of Health continues to monitor the situation and providing the necessary support to States. The Ministry of Health, from January to October 2018, sent the number of doses of 13.2 million doses to the states of Rondônia, Amazonas, Roraima, Pará, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Rio Grande do Sul, Pernambuco, Sergipe and the Federal District. triple viral vaccine to meet the demand for routine services and the implementation of blocking, intensification and vaccination campaigns to prevent new cases of measles. Regarding the National Measles Vaccination Campaign, all states that have confirmed measles cases reached the minimum goal of 95% coverage, except for the Federal District.
- Nigeria Lassa fever outbreak 2018: Genomic analysis helps inform Nigeria’s public health response
- Multistate outbreak of Salmonella infections linked to raw chicken products
- Hernias 101: What are they, who’s at risk and more
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease linked to eating squirrel brains
- How do malarial infections impact people exposed to Ebola virus?
- WHO: Current DR Congo Ebola outbreak not a international public health emergency
- Measles: More cases in Rockland County
- Hawaii mumps outbreak: Declared over after 1,000 cases