By NewsDesk  @bactiman63

On February 7, five people with signs of food poisoning were admitted to the infectious diseases department of the Bulungur District Medical Association in Samarkand region in southeastern Uzbekistan.

Image by RitaE from Pixabay

They were later diagnosed with botulism at the hospital. Despite the efforts of the doctors, one of the admitted, a 20-year-old man, died. Four more are in intensive care.

According to preliminary data, all five the day before, during lunch at the house of one of the victims, they ate canned tomatoes prepared at home.

The All New Ball Book Of Canning And Preserving: Over 350 of the Best Canned, Jammed, Pickled, and Preserved Recipes

Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by a toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria. When ingested, the toxin attacks the body’s nerves. Symptoms typically start with muscle weakness in the face and neck, and then spreads to the torso, arms, and legs. The toxin weakens muscles used for breathing which can lead to death. It is important that anyone ill with symptoms of botulism visit a health care provider immediately to be assessed.