The Venezuelan Society of Public Health reported this week (computer translated) the following worrying information:
From an unofficial, reliable source, it was known of the existence of at least 4 cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) identified in Delta Amacuro state, Venezuela in the La Playita del Volcán, Juan Millán Parish, of the Tucupita Municipality whose inhabitants belong to the indigenous Warao ethnic group.
It is reported that the AFP is due to polio virus, something that hasn’t been seen in Venezuela in three decades.
The first case was recorded in mid- April after a five- year-old child presented with inability to walk and pain in the lower back. The child had no history of being vaccinated.
Other children close by also experienced symptoms of AFP. They were also unvaccinated. It is suspected that these are cases of circulating polio virus (cVDPV) but it has yet to be confirmed.
To date, the national health authorities have not issued any information about it or declared a health emergency due to the situation.
- Venezuela: Serratia marcescens kills 11 children at Barquisimeto hospital
- Sweden investigates outbreak of ‘unusual’ salmonella type
- Romania measles cases continue to climb
- Salmonella sickens dozens in the Midwest, linked to pre-cut melons
- Louisville hepatitis A outbreak: Hundreds of cases, 3 deaths
- Hepatitis A: Additional cases confirmed in Nashville
- Newcastle disease: A dozen cases confirmed in San Bernardino County in past two weeks
6 thoughts on “Acute flaccid paralysis due to suspected polio unofficially reported in Venezuela: Society of Public Health”
cVDPV means circulating Vaccine Derived Polio Virus.
A: Oral polio vaccine (OPV) contains an attenuated (weakened) vaccine-virus, activating an immune response in the body. … In very rare instances, the vaccine-virus can genetically change into a form that can paralyse – this is what is known as a circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV).
WHO | What is vaccine-derived polio?
so, the vaccinated spread the vaccine-derived Polio Virus to the unvaccinated children.
Alas, one thing that won’t be looked at is pesticide exposure.