By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
There were eight additional wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases reported during the past week–six in Afghanistan and two in Pakistan. Globally, 54 WPV-1 cases are reported in 2020 to date.
The cases of WPV1 reported in Afghanistan this week include: One each in Badakhshan, Balkh, Hirat, Kunar provinces and two in Kandahar province bringing the number of cases reported in 2020 to 11.
In Pakistan, the two new cases include one each in Balochistan and Sindh, bringing the number of 2020 cases to 43 in the country.
There were also six new circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) cases reported this past week–Afghanistan (2), Pakistan (2), and one each in Niger and Chad.
- COVID-19 testing: FDA Authorizes First Diagnostic Test Using At-Home Collection of Saliva Specimens
- COVID-19 antigen test evaluated by European scientists
- Singapore dengue: Cases rise, Officials expand release of Wolbachia-carrying Aedes aegypti mosquitoes
- COVID-19 infection: Sense of smell lost by 3rd day in most patients
- Nigeria sees COVID-19 count top 3,000
- Russia reports jump in COVID-19 infections, ‘Diagnostics have become more actively used’ according to Chief Infectionist
- Taiwan reports additional Hantavirus hemorrhagic fever case
- 3D human tissue culture model demonstrates a possible relationship between Alzheimer’s disease and herpes simplex virus I infection