Tens of millions of animals are used for scientific and commercial research in the US that benefits humans and animals alike. Despite the obvious benefits, animal research draws much criticism in some circles with the most common argument revolving around the case that it is cruel and inhumane.
Director, Center for Comparative Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine, Cindy Buckmaster, PhD joined me to look at the whats behind the scenes with animal research and some of the arguments, pro and con.
Dr Buckmaster discussed how animal research benefits human health, your pet’s health, the various regulations and protections in place and much, much more.
- Americans for Medical Progress
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Foundation
- Homes for Animal Heroes Facebook page
- Homes for Animal Heroes
- Love, Care, Progress – AMP (Video)
- Love Letter Series (Video)
- Anthrax: An interview with Dr Buddy Faries
- Dog flu 101: An interview with Dr Cynda Crawford
- A look at the neglected tropical disease, Chagas disease
- Everything you wanted to know about rabies
- Raccoon roundworm: The rare and potentially lethal zoonosis
- Bacterial meningitis and vaccinations: A discussion with Dr. Leonard Friedland
Intro music: “Rapture” by Ross Bugden