Health officials in Tanzania are reporting an anthrax outbreak in Moshi District, Kilimanjaro Region in northern Tanzania.
According to Kilimanjaro Regional Commissioner, Anna Mghwira, eight additional people were hospitalized for their illness at two different hospitals.
It is believed the patients had consumed anthrax tainted cow.
Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax can be found naturally in soil and commonly affects domestic and wild animals around the world. Although it is rare, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products.
- China: African swine fever reported on Shaanxi Province farm
- Los Angeles: Increase in whooping cough clusters reported
- Illinois: Mumps cases reported in McHenry County
- Cook Islands declare dengue outbreak in Rarotonga, 1st in a decade
- Possible measles exposure in Hillsdale, NJ prompts health alert
- Universal flu vaccine: Senators reintroduce legislation to more than double investment
- Chikungunya vaccine candidate fast tracked