Officials in Kyrgyzstan are reporting eight suspected anthrax cases in the Jalal-Abad region. The individuals (7 men) and a child (a 12-year-old girl), have been hospitalized.
The Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Republic of Kyrgyzstan said in a statement: “Eight villagers from Gian Talap, Tobo-Korgon, Ak-Tobo were hospitalized to the infectious department of Aksy district hospital with signs of anthrax.”
Based on the early investigation, the victims participated in the slaughter of animals.
There are over 100 natural foci of anthrax in the territory of Kyrgyzstan with spores contained in the soil and transferred to animals with the grass. Experts from ProMed say this region of western Kyrgyzstan is under constant threat of anthrax from uncontrolled livestock anthrax in the Furgana valley stretching west in Uzbekistan.
Anthrax is a bacterial pathogen in livestock and wild animals. Some of the more common herbivores are cattle, sheep,goats, horses, camels and deers.Anthrax is a very serious disease of livestock because it can potentially cause the rapid loss of a large number of animals in a very short time. Affected animals are often found dead with no illness detected.
It infects humans primarily through occupational or incidental exposure with infected animals of their skins.
Anthrax is caused by the bacterium, Bacillus anthracis. This spore forming bacteria can survive in the environment for years because of its ability to resist heat, cold, drying, etc. This is usually the infectious stage of anthrax.
When conditions become favorable, the spores germinate into colonies of bacteria. An examplewould be a grazing cow ingests spores that in the cow, germinate, grow spread and eventually kill the animal.
The bacteria will form spores in the carcass and then return to the soil to infect other animals. The vegetative form is rarely implicated in transmission. Strict enforcement of quarantines and proper burning and burying of carcasses from livestock suspected to have died from anthrax is important to prevent further soil contamination with the bacterial spores.
There are no reports of person-to-person transmission of anthrax. People get anthrax by handling contaminated animal or animal products, consuming undercooked meat of infected animals and more recently, intentional release of spores.
There are three types of human anthrax with differing degrees of seriousness: cutaneous, gastrointestinal and inhalation.