In a follow-up on the dengue fever situation in Bangladesh in 2022, the country’s Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) reported 1020 additional cases Saturday, bringing the total cases to 37,151 year to date.
In October alone, 21,059 cases have been reported so far with two days left.
The death toll has increased to 136 with the addition of two more this weekend. 81 of the total deaths were reported in October.
The capital city of Dhaka accounts for 82 deaths in 2022.
Dengue is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. There are four closely related but antigenically different serotypes of the virus that can cause dengue (DEN1, DEN 2, DEN 3, DEN 4).
Dengue Fever (DF) – marked by an onset of sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and pain in muscles and joints. Some may also have a rash and varying degree of bleeding from various parts of the body (including nose, mouth and gums or skin bruising).Dengue has a wide spectrum of infection outcome (asymptomatic to symptomatic). Symptomatic illness can vary from dengue fever (DF) to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).
Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) – is a more severe form, seen only in a small proportion of those infected. DHF is a stereotypic illness characterized by 3 phases; febrile phase with high continuous fever usually lasting for less than 7 days; critical phase (plasma leaking) lasting 1-2 days usually apparent when fever comes down, leading to shock if not detected and treated early; convalescence phase lasting 2-5 days with improvement of appetite, bradycardia (slow heart rate), convalescent rash (white patches in red background), often accompanied by generalized itching (more intense in palms and soles), and diuresis (increase urine output).
Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) — Shock syndrome is a dangerous complication of dengue infection and is associated with high mortality. Severe dengue occurs as a result of secondary infection with a different virus serotype. Increased vascular permeability, together with myocardial dysfunction and dehydration, contribute to the development of shock, with resultant multiorgan failure.
- Angola reports more than 2,000 measles cases in three weeks
- MRSA: University of Bath’s novel compound that both inhibits the superbug in lab experiments and renders it more vulnerable to antibiotics
- Philippines: Tacloban City reports nearly 200 cholera cases this week
- Japan syphilis cases top 10,000 for the first time since records began
- Spain reports doubling of Shigella in 2022
- Lassa fever: Three rare antibodies, combined in a ‘cocktail’, are effective in blocking infection
- D.C. Cobb’s outbreak investigation over, Norovirus was identified as the pathogen
- Uganda Ebola outbreak update: Latest numbers, Vaccines, Travel restrictions for contacts