Agência Brasil reports Brazil recorded 504 deaths from dengue in the period from January 1 to June 4. The number represents practically double the number of deaths reported in the whole of last year, according to the Epidemiological Bulletin released by the Ministry of Health.
The state of São Paulo leads the list, with 180 deaths. Then come Santa Catarina (60), Rio Grande do Sul (49), Goiás (44) and Paraná (43). There are still 364 deaths under investigation.
This year alone, there were 1.1 million probable cases of dengue across the country, which implies an incidence rate of 517.9 cases per 100,000 inhabitants. The mark reached in just six months already represents more than twice the number of cases recorded in the entire year of 2021 (544,460).
The Midwest region of the country leads the incidence rate, with the mark of 1,544.2 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, higher than the Brazilian average. It is also in this region that the municipalities with the highest number of infected are: Brasília, with 51,131 cases; and Goiânia, with 41,637 cases. Next in the ranking are Joinville (SC), with 23,058 cases; São José do Rio Preto (SP), with 16,005 cases; and Aparecida de Goiânia (GO), with 14,689.
Chikungunya and Zika
From January to June, Brazil recorded 108,730 probable cases of chikungunya, an increase of 95.7% compared to the same period in 2021. from Ceara. Another 40 deaths are under investigation.
As for Zika data, the bulletin reports that 5,699 cases of the disease were recorded, an increase of 118.9% over the same period last year. No deaths from Zika have been reported in the country in 2022.
- Vietnam reports more than 52,000 dengue fever cases, Increasing day by day
- Malaysia reports declining trend of HFMD cases for two consecutive weeks, tally total now 96,000
- Minnesota measles: Two cases confirmed in Hennepin County
- Massachusetts reports two additional monkeypox cases
- Polio outbreak risk increases in western Ukraine as war ensues
- ATCC to Help Fight Leishmaniasis
- Venezuela reports its first case of monkeypox
- Philippines: 7 Japanese encephalitis cases reported in Bicol
- New York City monkeypox tally now at 11
- Monkeypox cases top 200 in Portugal