By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Health officials in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul reported 1,126 additional dengue fever cases in the past week, bringing the total this year so far to 61,604 confirmed cases.
Two additional deaths were recorded in the city of Ponta Porã in May, bringing the total dengue related fatalities to 39.
Officials say this is the worst epidemic of the disease since 2014.
The region of Grande Dourados is the one with the highest number of deaths, being 9, with 3 in Dourados, 2 in Ponta Porã, 2 in Caarapó, and one in the cities of Laguna Caarapã and Itaporã, all neighboring Dourados, which, in addition to being the current COVID-19 epicenter in Mato Grosso do Sul, it is also experiencing a triple epidemic of arboviruses if you include chikungunya and Zika.
Aedes aegypti mosquito merchandise
According to an alert by the SES (State Department of Health ), the population should avoid standing water anywhere it can accumulate and at any time of the year, since “in addition to Aedes Aegypti transmitting dengue, today, the mosquito it has become one of the greatest enemies of public health , as it also transmits the Zika virus and Chikungunya fever ”.
- Disseminated Coccidioidomycosis: Reprogramming of immune system cures child
- Wisconsin: Two deer at Trempealeau County hunting ranch test positive for Chronic Wasting Disease
- Dengue cases up 771% in Cruzeiro do Sul in the state of Acre
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia: Potential high-risk clones identified in strains in European hospitals
- Malaria cases down in Venezuela in 2020, according to UN data
- Singapore COVID-19: Conditional approval of Remdesivir granted for treatment