The Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) reported an additional 60 dengue fever hospitalizations over the past day, bringing the total cases for the year to 27,839.
The vast majority of cases are reported from Dhaka, while some 4,523 are from outside Dhaka.
A total of 617 cases have been reported in December to date.
The dengue death toll has reached 100 for the second time since 2000, with 92 reported in Dhaka.
Dengue is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. There are four closely related but antigenically different serotypes of the virus that can cause dengue (DEN1, DEN 2, DEN 3, DEN 4).
Dengue Fever (DF) – marked by an onset of sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and pain in muscles and joints. Some may also have a rash and varying degree of bleeding from various parts of the body (including nose, mouth and gums or skin bruising).Dengue has a wide spectrum of infection outcome (asymptomatic to symptomatic). Symptomatic illness can vary from dengue fever (DF) to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).
Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) – is a more severe form, seen only in a small proportion of those infected. DHF is a stereotypic illness characterized by 3 phases; febrile phase with high continuous fever usually lasting for less than 7 days; critical phase (plasma leaking) lasting 1-2 days usually apparent when fever comes down, leading to shock if not detected and treated early; convalescence phase lasting 2-5 days with improvement of appetite, bradycardia (slow heart rate), convalescent rash (white patches in red background), often accompanied by generalized itching (more intense in palms and soles), and diuresis (increase urine output).
- Chicago reports rise in syphilis cases in 2020, Outbreak in Roseland
- Chicago reports 1st Omicron case
- Norway reports 33 confirmed Omicron cases, New restrictions imposed
- Argentina reports 1st Omicron case in traveler from South Africa
- Cholera kills 10 in South Kivu in recent days
- China reports human H5N6 avian influenza case in Sichuan Province, 27th case this year
- India: Dengue, chikungunya cases up dramatically in Ahmedabad
- Malaria cases, deaths up in 2020, Thanks in part to pandemic disruptions
- Texas: 1st Omicron case reported in Harris County