In a follow-up on the hepatitis A outbreak in Hillsborough County, FL, county health officials report that through Dec. 20, a total of 83 cases and 75 Locally acquired cases of hepatitis A were reported.
The 83 cases reported to date in 2018 is dramatically higher than the total cases reported in the county from 2013-2017 (36).
Seven out 10 cases were reported in men. One-third of the cases are reported in individuals who use drugs.
The increase has also been seen statewide as the Florida Department of Health reports more than 400 cases in 30 counties through the first 11 months of the year.
The increase in hepatitis A cases to date is predominantly in the Tampa Bay and Orlando metropolitan areas.
- Pakistan drug resistant typhoid outbreak tops 5,000: WHO
- Senegal declares end of dengue epidemic
- Madagascar measles outbreak grows, 2/3 of cases from Analamanga region
- Michigan: Legionella found at Hastings hospital
- California reports increase in congenital syphilis for 5th straight year
- New Caledonia reports rise in dengue fever
- Six disease combo vaccine, VAXELIS, receives FDA nod