By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Italian Health Ministry reported an additional 3,497 coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19 cases, bringing the country’s total to 21,157.
In addition, 175 new deaths have been recorded. Italy is now reporting a total of 1,441 fatalities.
Lombardy region has reported 11,685 cases and 966 deaths, followed by Emilia Romagna (2644/241) and Veneto (1937/55).
Earlier, WHO director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called Europe the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic.
“More cases are now being reported every day than were reported in China at the height of its epidemic,” he said at a news conference on Friday.
In addition to Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Switzerland and the UK have all reported more than 1,000 cases.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Issues Emergency Use Authorization to Thermo Fisher
- Florida Keys: Local transmission of dengue reported
- Lyme disease: Stanford researchers say antibiotic, azlocillin, works well in mouse study
- Nigeria: Lassa fever outbreak now at 855 cases
- Philippines: COVID-19 total nears 100, 8 deaths
- New York City reports 1st coronavirus death
- Coronavirus spreads quickly and sometimes before people have symptoms: University of Texas at Austin study