By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia, or the Malaysia Ministry of Health (MOH) reported the country’s National Poison Center has begun to receive ivermectin poisoning cases recently in two people who self-treated with the anti-parasitic drug, according to a post on their Facebook page.
The first case involved a 35-year-old who experienced shortness of breath for up to five days after taking the drug.
The second case is a senior citizen who was found unconscious after being said to have taken 15 Ivermectin pills at once.
MOH reports Ivermectin has not yet approved its use as treatment or prevention of COVID-19 infection in Malaysia. However, it is found that there is illegally selling medicinal activities going on. Ivermectin intake without deep study and improper doses can result in poisoning.
Ivermectin can cause harmful effects like vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and dizziness. Terrible effects are low blood pressure, shortness of breath, lung damage, and death. Unfortunately, there is no antidot or specific treatment for this poisoning case.
Therefore avoid taking Ivermectin for self-treatment.