From the beginning of the year through April 2017, Malaysian health authorities have reported 31,528 dengue fever cases, including 69 fatalities.
Selangor is the state with the most cases with 16,710, followed by Perak (2794), Kuala Lumpur (2741), and Johor (2267).
Dengue is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. There are four closely related but antigenically different serotypes of the virus that can cause dengue (DEN1, DEN 2, DEN 3, DEN 4).
- Dengue Fever (DF) – marked by an onset of sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and pain in muscles and joints. Some may also have a rash and varying degree of bleeding from various parts of the body (including nose, mouth and gums or skin bruising).Dengue has a wide spectrum of infection outcome (asymptomatic to symptomatic). Symptomatic illness can vary from dengue fever (DF) to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).
- Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) – is a more severe form, seen only in a small proportion of those infected. DHF is a stereotypic illness characterized by 3 phases; febrile phase with high continuous fever usually lasting for less than 7 days; critical phase (plasma leaking) lasting 1-2 days usually apparent when fever comes down, leading to shock if not detected and treated early; convalescence phase lasting 2-5 days with improvement of appetite, bradycardia (slow heart rate), convalescent rash (white patches in red background), often accompanied by generalized itching (more intense in palms and soles), and diuresis (increase urine output).
- Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) — Shock syndrome is a dangerous complication of dengue infection and is associated with high mortality. Severe dengue occurs as a result of secondary infection with a different virus serotype. Increased vascular permeability, together with myocardial dysfunction and dehydration, contribute to the development of shock, with resultant multiorgan failure.
- Antibiotics: Several common classes linked to increased risk of miscarriage, according to study
- Zimbabwe anthrax outbreak: 14 sickened, 1 death; linked to eating hippo
- Liberia undiagnosed illness cluster: More details
- WHO update on Liberia outbreak, cause still unknown
- Mexico: Twenty cases of Rocky Mountain Spotted fever reported in Chihuahua
- Pakistan: Chickenpox outbreak claims 16 lives in past 4 months in Faisalabad
- ‘We expect this measles outbreak to grow substantially’: CIDRAP’s Osterholm