While health authorities report seeing decreases in the number of measles cases in Madagascar in recent week, the numbers are still astounding (reporting more than 7,000 new cases in the most recent week).
According to UN officials, since the beginning of September 2018, 82,905 cases have been reported in all 22 regions of the country. There is an attack rate of more than 3,100 per 100,000 population nationally.
In addition, 926 deaths have been reported.
The bulk of the cases and deaths are reported in children 14 and under and some 2/3s of cases were unvaccinated.
The Phase 2 supplementary immunization activities (SIA) was conducted Feb. 18-22 targeting young children.
- Measles in Ukraine: 9th fatality reported
- Nipah virus reported in Thakurgaon, Bangladesh
- Norway: Two reindeer killed due to suspicion of rabies
- Iceland reports 2nd measles case
- Finland officials warn of norovirus increases
- Sri Lanka reports 8,900 dengue cases in 1st two months of 2019
- Anthrax confirmed near Swan Hill, Victoria
- Measles (Tigdas) epidemic in the Philippines: 16K cases in first two months of 2019