In a follow-up on the measles epidemic in the Philippines, government officials are now reporting 16,349 cases in all 17 regions through Mar. 2.
In addition, the death toll to this epidemic is 261 through the first two months of the year.
Calabarzon region accounts for 24 percent of the cases with 3,877, followed closely by the National Capital Region (NCR), or Metro Manila with 3,617 cases. Region III, or Central Luzon has reported 2,331 cases.
These three regions also account for 73 percent of the measles fatalities thus far.
The following regions have declared measles outbreaks–Region III, Calabarzon, VI, VII, X and NCR.
The majority of cases are unvaccinated.
- Malaysia diphtheria update: 3 more cases in Johor Bahru district
- Strangles, or ‘Equine strep’ kills thousands of donkeys in Niger
- Rift Valley fever in Mayotte update
- Measles testimony before Congress: Drs. Fauci and Messonnier
- Maggots: Hong Kong reports two human myiasis cases
- Libya: Leishmaniasis outbreak reaches 5,000 cases
- Vancouver, WA measles outbreak reaches 70 cases
- Philippines health and disease updates: Measles, dengue, rabies and ‘sin taxes’