Nigeria health officials have reported nearly 6,000 measles cases since the beginning of the year, nearly double the number reported in 2018 during the same period.
Borno State has been hit the hardest by measles reporting 3,600 cases, primarily in children under 5 years.
15 measles related deaths have been reported to date.
According to Nigerian and global health officials, during the last four months, the increased level of hostilities resulted in massive displacement. More than 700,000 people are living in overcrowded camp-like settings in Borno State, significantly increasing the risk of epidemics and infectious diseases.
- Schistosomiasis: 2 million Nigerian children receive treatment
- Lyme disease: Pennsylvania DEP conducting tick study
- Philippines: Dengue cases top 40K in 1st two months of 2019
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to The Grille at Gold Dust West in Elko, Nevada
- 18 infections you can get from mosquitoes
- Hepatitis A outbreaks in the US: The latest state by state data
- Philippines: Measles death toll tops 300
- Chickenpox outbreak reported at Walton, KY school