What is health promotion and what is its role and importance in disease outbreaks?
Author of the new book, Health Promotion in Disease Outbreaks and Health Emergencies, Glenn Laverack, PhD joined me on the show to answer these questions and more.
He discussed the role of community involvement, communications and social media in a health emergency. In addition, Dr. Laverack discussed in some detail health promotion in specific outbreaks like the West Africa Ebola outbreak, avian influenza and the Zika virus outbreak.
Topics such as rumors and the importance of post outbreak response were also examined.
- Pandemic vs epidemic: What’s the difference and why does it matter?
- The cost of measles: A CDC review
- Animal research: The benefits, the regulations and the reality
- Bacterial meningitis and vaccinations: A discussion with Dr. Leonard Friedland
- MERS: Will it ever spread out of the Arabian peninsula such that the rest of the world should be concerned?
- Vaccines: How they work and some common misconceptions
- Saudi Arabia, the Hajj and the challenges in the prevention and control of infectious diseases
- H7N9 avian influenza in China: Should we be worried?
- Yemen cholera and diphtheria: ‘The ongoing war and blockade are sending Yemen’s health system decades back in time’
- Seasonal flu deaths up globally: Survey
- Mumps in Auckland: Case count tops 1,000 this year
- Dengue cases down in Philippines, Most cases in Manila area
- Human ‘common cold’ virus kills healthy chimpanzees
- Indonesia begins diphtheria vaccination campaign
- Rohingya refugee diphtheria crisis: 804 suspected diphtheria cases, 15 deaths
- Campylobacter outbreak linked to Petland puppies expands to 17 states, almost 100 cases
Intro music: “Rapture” by Ross Bugden