Health officials say the victim was a 30-year-old man of Baldia Town Karachi, according to local media. The report does not indicate how he contracted the lethal amoeba.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Naegleria fowleri is found around the world. In the United States, the majority of infections have been caused by Naegleria fowleri from freshwater located in southern-tier states.
The amoeba can be found in bodies of warm freshwater, such as lakes and rivers, geothermal (naturally hot) water, such as hot springs, warm water discharge from industrial plants, geothermal (naturally hot) drinking water sources, swimming pools that are poorly maintained, minimally-chlorinated, and/or un-chlorinated, water heaters.
Naegleria fowleri grows best at higher temperatures up to 115°F (46°C) and can survive for short periods at higher temperatures and soil.
- Cholera outbreak downs more than 120 in Karnataka
- Diphtheria cases in Malappuram district reach five
- India: Diphtheria takes the life of unvaccinated Kerala teen