By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Officials with the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) have reported the first wild poliovirus 1 (WPV1) case of 2020 in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, Pakistan.
Pakistan also saw an additional case in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, which is included with the 2019 numbers, bringing the total in Pakistan last year to 136.
Additionally, four WPV1-positive environmental samples were reported: one each from Punjab and FATA provinces and two from Balochistan province.
Afghanistan reported one WPV1 case that is included with the 2019 numbers, bringing that country’s total to 29 last year.
In 2019, 165 WPV1 cases were reported.
In addition to the WPV1 cases, additional vaccine derived polio viruses were reported for 2019 from Pakistan (6), Democratic Republic of the Congo (10) and Togo (1). The total vDPV cases reported in 2019 is now 280.
- Marburg virus: Scientists detect virus in Sierra Leone fruit bats
- Novel coronavirus epidemic situation, US State Dept. says do not travel to Hubei
- Nigeria reports increasing confirmed Lassa fever cases
- Haiti: One year cholera free
- Vietnam reports two novel coronavirus cases
- 2019-nCoV: Wuhan shut down, Not a Public Health Emergency of International Concern
- Singapore confirms imported case of novel coronavirus, CDC says avoid all nonessential travel to Wuhan