Two new cases of wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) have been reported this week in Pakistan. Both cases are from FATA province, with onset of paralysis on 1 September and 7 October respectively.
The total number of WPV1 cases in 2018 in the country now stands at eight. Including the 19 cases reported in Afghanistan, the global total of wild poliovirus cases has risen to 27, up from 22 all of 2017.
In addition, two positive WPV1 environmental samples have been reported across Pakistan: one in Quetta district, Balochistan province, and one in Mardan district, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, collected on 12 and 15 October respectively.
Outside of Pakistan, Democratic Republic of Congo saw two new cases of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2), Nigeria reported four new cases of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) and Niger saw one new case of circulating vaccine-driven polio virus type 2 (cVDPV2).
- Lymphatic filariasis: Single 3 pill ‘cocktail’ more effective at killing microscopic larval worms
- Rabies death reported in Utah, First since 1944
- South Carolina: Measles cases rise in Spartanburg County, First flu-related death reported
- Meningitis B confirmed in two students at the University of Bristol
- Pennsylvania, Allegheny County investigate hepatitis A outbreak
- Ocean County measles outbreak rises to six