By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Dengue case count
The Philippines Department of Health recorded an additional 20,000 dengue fever cases during the week ending August 10, bringing the country total to well over 200,000 cases.
According to the DOH, more than 208,000 cases were reported from January 1 to August 10 this year, more than double the number of cases last year at this time (102,298).
Provinces recording the most cases include Region 6 (Western Visayas) 23,330 followed by Region 4-A (Calabarzon) with 16,515, Region 9 (Zamboanga Peninsula) with 12,317, Region 10 (Northern Mindanao) with 11,455 and Region 12 (SOCCSKSARGEN) with 11,083 cases.
At least 900 deaths have been seen in this epidemic.
This is the first time the Philippines recorded more than 200,000 cases since seeing this number both in 2015 and 2016.
In Pangasinan province, the Provincial Health Office (PHO) reports nine deaths among the 201 laboratory-confirmed measles cases in the province from January 1 to August 5 this year.
According to Provincial health officer, Dr. Anna Ma. Teresa de Guzman, “The total number of suspected cases from January to August 5 is 1,323, higher than the 179 suspected cases with one casualty on the same period last year.”
Dagupan City and San Carlos City have seen the most suspected cases.
The Philippines is among the most affected countries with measles during the past year.
The Department of Health (DOH) in Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) say the number of leptospirosis cases in the region has reached 75, with 12 recorded deaths, prompting warnings for residents to take precautionary measures.
“Leptospirosis just like dengue is fatal but also preventable. All we need is to clean our surroundings, be sure that our garbage is well-attended and improve flood control measures in the community,” DOH Calabarzon regional director Eduardo C. Janairo said.
Cavite has recorded 18 cases and two deaths; Laguna with 14 cases and one death; Batangas – nine cases and two deaths while Quezon has no reported cases.
- Klebsiella pneumoniae: Researchers produce promising vaccine against deadly superbug
- Top 10 reportable infectious diseases in Salt Lake County
- Taiwan: 2nd local chikungunya case, 1st hantavirus case of the year
- San Diego reports 2nd measles case, 1st flu death
- Michigan health officials report suspect Eastern Equine Encephalitis cases
- Mystery disease in the Ivory Coast kills 28
- Has the USDA Found a Link in the Chicken Listeria Outbreak?
- Rabies exposure: 21 receive PEP after Macon ‘Raccoon or Kitten?’ event