By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Health officials in Poland are reporting 5,000 COVID-19 cases as of April 8, including 136 fatalities.
The Polish government announced this week that PLN 200 million (Polish zloty) will go to Polish entrepreneurs and scientists who work on diagnostics, treatment and prevention of viral diseases. European funds under the Fast Path “Coronavirus” competition will help counter the spread of coronavirus pandemics, including SARS-CoV-2.
The National Center for Research and Development has foreseen three basic thematic areas in which projects submitted for co-financing should be included: they are:
- diagnostics – devices for rapid detection of coronavirus presence, treatment – research into the use of existing or new drugs, as well as work on the vaccine,
- prevention – preventive measures limiting the spread of a pandemic (including the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus)
- activities for the Polish antivirus shield: improving biological security and protecting society, and supporting its functioning in epidemiological emergencies.
COVID-19: How does it compare with the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, US pandemic preparedness
Enterprises, both SMEs and large companies, as well as consortia consisting of entrepreneurs or entrepreneurs and scientific units can apply for support. As in the previous NCBR initiatives, the condition for receiving the grant is the innovation of the proposed solution at least at the national level, as well as the need to implement it on the market. Importantly, the competition is dedicated to projects implemented throughout Poland: PLN 125 million will be allocated to work in less developed areas (i.e. outside the Mazowieckie Voivodeship), and PLN 75 million in the Mazowieckie Voivodeship.
- Malaysia: Coronavirus cases top 4,000, Number of cases recovered exceeds new cases
- COVID-19 antiviral: FDA oks human clinical trials for EIDD-2801
- Turkey COVID-19 death toll now 725, ‘Bed occupancy rate has not reached 50 percent yet’
- Brazil: More than half of COVID-19 cases by early March came from Italy
- COVID-19 vaccine candidate, CORAVAX, could cover a global need
- Brazil: Updated COVID-19 case counts, Risk to indigenous peoples, Social distancing
One thought on “Poland: COVID-19 cases reach 5,000, PLN 200 million for fighting coronavirus”