By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
There were five additional wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases reported this past week in two of the remaining endemic countries–Pakistan and Afghanistan.
In Pakistan, four cases of WPV1 case were reported: one in Sindh and three in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. This brings the number of 2020 cases to 36 in the country.
In neighboring Afghanistan, one case of WPV1 case were reported in Farah province making it the third WPV1 case in 2020. This brings the global total to 39.
There were also a number of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) reported in Pakistan and Africa. Eight cVDPV2 cases were reported in Pakistan: Five in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, one in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Tribal Districts and two Punjab.
In Africa, Benin (1), Democratic Republic of the Congo (2), Ethiopia (5), Ghana (5) and Togo (5) reported cases.
- Wearing surgical masks in public could help slow COVID-19 pandemic’s advance: Study
- Bacteriophage therapeutics: FDA clears first clinical study for PhageBank for the treatment of multi-drug resistant bacteria
- Portugal COVID-19 cases near 10K, Another 15 days of the state of emergency starts
- Thailand reports COVID-19 cases in 62 of 76 provinces, Half in Bangkok
- Brazil reports more than 1000 new COVID-19 cases in 24 hours