Valneva SE, a specialty vaccine company focused on prevention against diseases with major unmet needs, today confirmed its participation in the UK government COVID-19 vaccine response program.
Valneva has reached agreement in principle with the UK government to provide up to 100 million doses of its SARS-CoV-2 vaccine candidate, to be manufactured at its facilities in Livingston, Scotland. The UK government is expected to contribute to UK clinical studies costs and is negotiating funding to expand Valneva’s Scottish facility. As part of its broader COVID-19 response, Valneva plans to further invest in its manufacturing facility in Livingston, Scotland and also in Solna, Sweden.
Thomas Lingelbach, CEO of Valneva, commented, “We are delighted to have been selected to participate in this important program with the UK government. This recognizes the strong track record and capabilities that we have built in the last fifteen years both in the UK and beyond. Our Livingston facility has been FDA approved for over a decade and we have a strong team both there and in Solna. We also envisage manufacturing vaccines to support the need for prevention of COVID-19 beyond the UK.”
On April 22, 2020, Valneva announced that it is developing VLA2001, an inactivated whole virus vaccine candidate against the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. VLA2001 leverages Valneva’s well-established platform for IXIARO®, its vaccine approved for active immunization for the prevention of Japanese encephalitis. The Company is also collaborating with Dynavax to evaluate the potential use of its CpG 1018 adjuvant as part of the VLA2001 vaccine. This vaccine is expected to enter clinical studies by the end of 2020 and to potentially reach regulatory approval in the second half of 2021.
- Ebola cases increase by 3, total now 60 in Équateur Province, DRC
- COVID-19 in the Philippines: 1500 new cases reported, Expert says it’s ‘not comparable to other diseases’
- African swine fever: Global action needed to halt spread of deadly pig disease
- Oregon: 2 Hospitalized with Salmonella, Si Casa Flores Restaurant the Culprit
- Vietnam: More than 10,000 hand, foot and mouth disease cases reported to date, Ho Chi Minh City reports increase in recent weeks
- Philippines: Polio vaccination campaign, ‘Sabayang Patak Kontra Polio’, to resume in Mindanao