The Thailand Ministry of Health recorded a new daily COVID-19 case record today with 20,200 reported. In addition, 188 deaths were reported, also a new daily record.
The new cases and fatalities brought total infections to 672,385 and deaths to 5,503.
Just yesterday, the government extended lockdown and curfew measures for two more weeks with 16 more provinces added to the list of “dark red or maximum and strict control zones”–areas that are hardest hit by the virus.
Apisamai Srirangson, assistant spokeswoman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said the 9pm–4am curfew hours and other strict measures will be imposed in Bangkok and 28 other provinces for two weeks starting Tuesday.
The CCSA is expected to evaluate the pandemic situation again on Aug 18, and Dr Apisamai indicated another lockdown extension until the end of this month is on the cards.
“It is highly likely the [restrictions] will continue until Aug 31 if the situation does not improve,” she said.
Malaysian health officials also saw record COVID-19 cases Wednesday reporting 19,819 new COVID-19 cases. Deaths attributed to COVID-19 also saw record numbers with 257.
The country’s cumulative number of cases since the start of the pandemic now stands at 1,183,110, with 9,855 deaths.
Selangor and Kuala Lumpur accounted for more than 10,000 cases combined, 8,377 and 2,467 new cases, respectively.
How times have changed in Malaysia. Just a year ago, Malaysia celebrated as local transmissions reached zero for a few days, now the country’s daily infection and death counts per capita has surpassed India’s at it’s peak. The country also has the highest per-million cases in Asia.
- Philippines: South Cotabato reports 33 lymphatic filariasis cases from two barangays
- LA County reports 1st human West Nile virus case of 2021
- Illinois reports 1st human West Nile virus case of 2021 in Cook County
- Sweden: Booster COVID-19 vaccine likely offered to general population in 2022
- FDA approval sought for MMR vaccine, PRIORIX: Would be second source of MMR vaccine in US
- New York: Anaplasmosis cases up in Sullivan County
- Georgia resident dies from rare Eastern Equine Encephalitis infection
- Nigeria cholera outbreak: Vaccination campaign in Bauchi