By NewsDesk @bactiman63
The Thailand Bureau of Epidemiology reported 71,292 total dengue fever cases in 2020, including 51 51 deaths.
The provinces with the highest incidence include Mae Hong Son, Rayong, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum and Chainat.
Dengue is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. There are four closely related but antigenically different serotypes of the virus that can cause dengue (DEN1, DEN 2, DEN 3, DEN 4).
Dengue Fever (DF) – marked by an onset of sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and pain in muscles and joints. Some may also have a rash and varying degree of bleeding from various parts of the body (including nose, mouth and gums or skin bruising).Dengue has a wide spectrum of infection outcome (asymptomatic to symptomatic). Symptomatic illness can vary from dengue fever (DF) to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).
Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) – is a more severe form, seen only in a small proportion of those infected. DHF is a stereotypic illness characterized by 3 phases; febrile phase with high continuous fever usually lasting for less than 7 days; critical phase (plasma leaking) lasting 1-2 days usually apparent when fever comes down, leading to shock if not detected and treated early; convalescence phase lasting 2-5 days with improvement of appetite, bradycardia (slow heart rate), convalescent rash (white patches in red background), often accompanied by generalized itching (more intense in palms and soles), and diuresis (increase urine output).
Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) — Shock syndrome is a dangerous complication of dengue infection and is associated with high mortality. Severe dengue occurs as a result of secondary infection with a different virus serotype. Increased vascular permeability, together with myocardial dysfunction and dehydration, contribute to the development of shock, with resultant multiorgan failure.
- Japan reports 4 cases of new strain variant of SARS-CoV-2 in travelers from Amazonas, Brazil
- Malaysia reports COVID-19 UK variant case
- Mad Cow disease case reported in Spain
- Moderna developing mRNA vaccines for seasonal flu, HIV and the Nipah virus
- Leishmaniasis: Progress towards a vaccine
- Japan PM issued Declaration of the State of Emergency due to COVID-19
- Hong Kong reports additional COVID-19 positive pet cat
- Antibody could improve survival rates of dengue, West Nile virus