Ukraine health officials reported an additional 967 measles – 436 adults and 531 children, during the past week.
This brings the total cases to 54,065 people – 25,439 adults and 28,626 children, including 18 deaths since the beginning of the year.
During the past week, most cases of measles were registered in Kyiv (110 patients: 46 adults and 64 children), Kharkiv oblasts (97: 63 adults and 34 children) and Kyiv (87:47 adults and 40 children). Also, high rates were recorded in Ternopil (80 patients: 23 adults and 57 children) and Lviv oblast (64: 27 adults and 37 children).
The Center for Public Health of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine puts the measles total to 110,000 cases and 39 fatalities.
The Ministry of Health of Ukraine, together with the Center for Public Health, held meetings with representatives from all regions to organize additional immunization measures to combat the outbreak of measles. A “special operation” to raise the level of vaccination and overcoming the outbreak has already taken place in the Lviv, Vinnytsia and Khmelnytsky regions. Other areas have received instructions on the necessary steps to prepare plans for additional measures to combat measles.
- Chickenpox in France: Twelve regional outbreaks reported
- Alzheimer’s disease: UNM researchers develop vaccine, Blood pressure drug holds promise
- Myanmar: Hundreds of dengue cases reported in Yangon
- Ebola updates for DRC and Uganda, Battle with rumors continue
- Pillsbury Best bread flour recalled due to possible E. coli
- Quick DNA test for malaria drug resistance is life-saver, holds promise for other diseases
- Scientists reveal DNA packaging mechanism of HSV-1, the virus that causes cold sores
- Campylobacter outbreak hits Askøy, Norway
- Western, Eastern and Venezuelan equine encephalitis: Vaccine provides protection in nonhuman primates