By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Two cases of foodborne botulism were reported in Berdyansk, Zaporizhzhia Oblast in southeastern Ukraine.
On November 17, it was reported that botulism was found in two residents of the city. An outbreak of the disease occurred among members of the same family. Homemade dried fish (roach, bream) could be a source of botulism.
The state of health of the sick is not reported.
Food borne botulism is a severe intoxication caused by eating the preformed toxin present in contaminated food.
Food borne botulism occurs when the bacterium Clostridium botulinum is allowed to grow and produce toxin in food that is later eaten without sufficient heating or cooking to inactivate the toxin. Botulinum toxin is one of the most potent neurotoxins known.
Typically in a few hours to several days after you eat the contaminated food you will start to show the classic symptoms; blurred vision, dry mouth, and difficulty in swallowing. Gastrointestinal symptoms may or may not occur. If untreated, the paralysis always descends through the body starting at the shoulders and working its way down.
The most serious complication of botulism is respiratory failure where it is fatal in up to 10% of people. It may take months before recovery is complete.
If the disease is caught early enough it can be treated with antitoxin. If paralysis and respiratory failure happen, the person may be on a ventilator for several weeks.
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever research is latest use of new strategy against diseases
- High Exposure to Malaria Linked to Lower Risks from COVID-19: Research
- Colorado: Hyenas test positive for SARS-CoV-2, 1st such cases
- Michigan: Face mask advisory issued for the holidays
- Wyoming: Norovirus behind increase in recent illnesses, Increased reports of E.coli across the state
- Spain: Legionellosis outbreak reported in Montmeló and Montornès del Vallès
- Austria goes into full lockdown: It was not a popular decision, ‘but a necessary one’; Upcoming vaccine mandate
- ‘Smallpox’ labeled vials actually contain vaccinia: CDC
- Argentina: Suspected case of cutaneous anthrax reported in La Pampa