George Mason University economics professor, Dr Walter Williams recently published an op-ed suggesting that illegal or undocumented immigrants are a source of infectious diseases in the country.
Senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, Amesh Adalja, MD responded to Dr Williams thesis with a countering op-ed.
So the question is, does the arrival of undocumented immigrants pose a real health security risk to the U.S. population? What do we know?
Dr Amesh Adalja joined me today to discuss this issue.
Other interviews with Dr Adalja:
- Talking Hepatitis A with Dr Amesh Adalja
- Pennsylvania Lyme disease: An interview with Dr Amesh Adalja
- Troubling statements about vaccines: Gloria Copeland and Milwaukee’s Patricia McManus
- Raw water: ‘In defiance of everything science tells us’
- Diphtheria: A short history, the disease, treatment and the success of the vaccines
- Totalitarian governments spawn infectious disease outbreaks that place other countries at risk
- Global pandemic pathogen: Characteristics, host factors