The United Nations Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported that Venezuela registered 2,796 cases of malaria during the first two epidemiological weeks of 2022, according to a report in El Diario.
The agency offered the data in its report situation on Venezuela in the period from January to February 2022.
Records indicate that the state most affected by these infections is Bolívar and that most of the cases are reported in municipalities where mining is practiced.
The Sifontes municipality heads the list of infections with 1,113 cases; Caroní follows with 453; Angostura, 378, and Piar, 248.
In 2021, Bolívar also reported the most malaria in the country.
According to the 2021 World Malaria Report, Venezuela led the list of infections in America with a total of 232,000.
- Japan: H5N1 avian influenza detected in raccoon dog (tanuki) in Sapporo, Hokkaido
- Philippines: Dengue, measles down by half in early 2022
- Rabies death reported in Petaling, Selangor state, Malaysia
- Mycobacterium abscessus infections linked to plastic surgeries performed in Paraguay
- Bird flu reported in Colorado non-commercial backyard flock
- China reports 12th human H5N6 avian influenza case of the year
- Timor-Leste: Dengue cases top 4,000, Indonesia reports the most dengue deaths year to date