By NewsDesk @bactiman63
On Christmas Eve, the Bolivia Ministry of Health and Sports reported 1,057 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the accumulated total to 153,121.
Of accumulative total, 129,387 patients have recovered from the disease, 14,658 are active cases and 9076 deaths have been recorded.
In addition, the Minister of Health and Sports, Edgar Pozo, reported Thursday that the Government plans to acquire vaccines against COVID-19 before March through bilateral agreements with laboratories in different countries, outside the Covax mechanism.
As for vaccines, “we are not only using the Covax mechanism, but also a form of acquisition through bilateral agreements between Bolivia and other countries,” he said at a press conference.
He explained that the vaccines that the Government manages through bilateral agreements, obviously you have to buy them, they are not donations, and it is expected to have them in the country until before March of the following year.
He indicated that Bolivians over 18 will receive the dose for free. In that sense, he pointed out that 20% of the population will be immunized through the Covax mechanism and the remaining 80% through the independent purchase of different laboratories.
It is planned to vaccinate 6% of the Bolivian population against COVID-19 in the first quarter of 2021. So far there have been talks with all the producing laboratories, including Pfizer, Moderna Astrazeneca / Oxford, Sinovac and Sputnik.
- Pregnant women in third trimester unlikely to pass SARS-CoV-2 infection to newborns
- SARS-CoV-2 variant: Africa CDC statement
- South Africa detects new SARS-CoV-2 lineage, Cases found in the UK
- Norway Yersinia outbreak over, Linked to pre-cut lettuce
- 1M chickens to be culled after Japan deals with another bird flu outbreak
- Philippines records more than 1,700 new COVID-19 cases on Christmas Eve
- Yellow fever outbreak reported in Guinea: WHO