By NewsDesk @bactiman63
On Monday, the Florida Department of Health (DOH) reported that the number of coronavirus disease, or COVID-19 cases has grown to 27,058 after reporting nearly 400 cases this evening–26,329 positive cases in Florida residents and 729 positive cases in non-Florida residents.
Thirty-four people have died who tested positive for COVID-19 Broward, Charlotte, Collier, Dade, Duval, Hernando, Highlands, Lake, Lee, Madison, Manatee, Orange, Palm Beach, Polk, Sarasota and Suwannee counties.
The total deaths in Florida stands at 823. 4,000 people required hospitalization in Florida.
Dade County has reported 9657 cases to date, followed by Broward (4078), Palm Beach (2260), Orange (1216) and Hillsborough (973).
DOH reports 307 long-term care facilities have positive cases of COVID-19. Of the 1,928 cases of residents or staff in long-term care facilities, 204 have died.
More than 266,000 tests have been performed in Florida.
In related news:
- As of April 19, approximately 2,317 Florida National Guardsmen (FLNG) are currently deployed to support Florida’s response to COVID-19.
- FLNG has expanded its support to mobile testing teams and the community-based and walk-up test sites. To date, FLNG has assisted in the testing of over 59,520 individuals for the COVID-19 virus.
- Task Force AID is preparing for the opening of the USACE Alternate Care Facility (ACF) at the Miami Beach Convention Center. FLNG will provide Guardsmen to conduct medical support operations.
- Yesterday, Governor Ron DeSantis and Commissioner of Education Richard Corcoran recommended that all Florida public and private K-12 schools continue distance learning and keep school campuses closed through June 3, the remainder of the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Spain COVID-19 cases top 200,000, Two million surgical masks arrive
- Ebola in DRC: Six new cases in past week, Concerns as patient escapes clinic
- Brazil dengue: Mato Grosso do Sul reports 2nd most cases
- Hydroxychloroquine: Novartis reaches agreement with FDA to proceed with a Phase III clinical trial in hospitalized COVID-19 patients
- Calls for banning wet markets and the illegal pangolin trade
- Neonatal herpes following ritual circumcision (metzitzah b’peh)
- 5 MUST READ books on Infectious diseases
- COVID-19 in Africa: Researchers say world must help continent in staying ahead of the curve