By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Iran deputy health minister, Dr. Alireza Raissi reported on new COVID-19 data in the country today. Raissi said there were 523 additional confirmed cases, bringing the country’s official total to 1,501.
An additional 12 deaths were recorded, bringing that total to 66.
Tehran, Gilan and Qom provinces accounted for the bulk of the new cases. Gen. Mohammed al-Askari noted since the beginning of the epidemic, about 7,280 people have been referred to hospitals and health centres, of which 4,312 have been tested and 1,501 have been declared positive.
In related news, member of the Expediency Council and close advisor to Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Mohammad Mirmohammadi has died from the viral infection. He is the latest Iranian officials to succomb to the coronavirus.
Iran’s parliament has been suspended until further notice and universities and schools nationwide have been closed. All public gatherings, including Friday prayers, have been canceled in an effort to quell the outbreak.
- Rhode Island reports second presumptive positive COVID-19 case
- COVID-19 in Washington: 4 additional cases, 1 death in King County
- New York reports 1st COVID-19 case in traveler to Iran
- Thailand records 1st COVID-19 death
- Germany COVID-19 outbreak: 129 cases, Travel and PPE procurement
- Italy: US State Dept. raises travel advisory to Level 4 for Lombardy and Veneto
- Dominican Republic reports 1st COVID-19 case, 1st in the Caribbean