New York City health officials report investigating a cluster of three patients who tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes. The three patients had clinical isolates highly related to each other by whole genome sequencing (WGS).
All three patients, each older than 50 years of age, reside in Brooklyn. They were all hospitalized for their illness.
The patients all reported shopping at NetCost Market at 3100 Ocean Ave in Brooklyn, NY and purchased ready-to-eat products from the deli counter prior to illness onset.
Food and environmental specimens collected at the deli area were found to be highly related to the NYC clinical isolates by WGS.
NetCost management has worked closely with the Health Department and New York State Agriculture and Markets to ensure that the deli area is safe for consumers at this time.
Health officials say customers who have purchased food from this deli counter before 9/5/2021 should not eat the food and throw it out.
Listeriosis, a bacterial disease caused by Listeria monocytogenes, is uncommon, and usually occurs
sporadically. Although it can cause mild illness in immunocompetent adults, it can also cause sepsis
and meningoencephalitis in newborns and adults, and spontaneous abortion in pregnant women.
Neonates, the elderly, immune compromised individuals, and pregnant women are at greatest risk for
serious or fatal infection.
Foodborne outbreaks of listeriosis have been associated with ingestion of raw or contaminated milk,
soft cheeses, contaminated raw vegetables, and undercooked or ready-to-eat meats such as hotdogs,
luncheon meats, and refrigerated pâtés.
- Measles: Potential exposures investigated linked to Dulles International Airport, other areas of Northern Virginia
- Texas reports more animal anthrax cases, State total now 9
- Cambodia’s COVID-19 vaccination success: 97% of adults vaccinated
- Vietnam reports more than 13K COVID-19 cases Friday, Approves Hayat – Vax vaccine
- Utah reports 11 West Nile virus cases to date
- Delaware: Rabies warning in Rehoboth Beach
- Minnesota reported EEE and EHV in two different horses
- North Dakota reports second anthrax case in Kidder County
- Iowa: Two ‘swine flu’ cases reported, Both fully recovered