Malaysia health officials reported an additional 1950 dengue fever cases in the weeks ending December 17, bringing the cumulative total to 62,060 in 2022 to date.
This is a 146.7 percent increase in cases compared to the same period in 2021 (25,161).
Authorities also reported a total of 49 deaths due to dengue complications have been reported compared to 19 deaths for the same period in 2021, which is an increase of 30 deaths (157.9 percent).
Dengue is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. There are four closely related but antigenically different serotypes of the virus that can cause dengue (DEN1, DEN 2, DEN 3, DEN 4).
Dengue Fever (DF) – marked by an onset of sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and pain in muscles and joints. Some may also have a rash and varying degree of bleeding from various parts of the body (including nose, mouth and gums or skin bruising).Dengue has a wide spectrum of infection outcome (asymptomatic to symptomatic). Symptomatic illness can vary from dengue fever (DF) to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).
Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) – is a more severe form, seen only in a small proportion of those infected. DHF is a stereotypic illness characterized by 3 phases; febrile phase with high continuous fever usually lasting for less than 7 days; critical phase (plasma leaking) lasting 1-2 days usually apparent when fever comes down, leading to shock if not detected and treated early; convalescence phase lasting 2-5 days with improvement of appetite, bradycardia (slow heart rate), convalescent rash (white patches in red background), often accompanied by generalized itching (more intense in palms and soles), and diuresis (increase urine output).
Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) — Shock syndrome is a dangerous complication of dengue infection and is associated with high mortality. Severe dengue occurs as a result of secondary infection with a different virus serotype. Increased vascular permeability, together with myocardial dysfunction and dehydration, contribute to the development of shock, with resultant multiorgan failure.
- Philippines cholera cases top 6,000 for 2022
- South Africa officials warns of rabies in high risk areas
- Pennsylvania: Babies born with congenital syphilis hits highest level in 32 years
- Florida reports 4 additional local dengue transmission in Miami-Dade County
- Japan sees syphilis cases top 12,000 in 2022
- Echinococcus cases reported in New Hampshire: First locally acquired cases
- Hanoi still reports more than 1,000 dengue cases last week despite cold season
- Cucumber from Spain is suspected source of Salmonella Agona outbreak in Norway, Sweden